The Pitt Men’s Glee Club is the oldest extra-curricular organization at the University of Pittsburgh, as well as the first collegiate musical ensemble. Founded in 1890 by Mr. John L. High, the group began as a mere octet, but quickly began to grow in popularity and membership. Its objective was to stimulate the musical interest among the undergraduates, to promote sociability, to develop the college spirit, and to promote the fair name of ‘Old Uni.’ The Glee Club’s repertoire encompasses everything from Gregorian Chant and Renaissance motets to modern popular music, folksongs, and spirituals.
Past music directors have included Earl Yearsley, Dr. W. H. Wright, Theodore M. Finney, David Weiss, Emanuel Rubin, Thomas Caruso, Phillip Cavanaugh, David Mitchell, Nina Tober, John Yankee, Kim Rauch, Greg Scheer, Kristin Dell Rust, Andrew Greiner, and Stephen Greene. The group’s present director, since 1999 is Richard Teaster.
The current Club is comprised of students from throughout the University, as well as a few recent alumni. Traditionally, the Glee Club has sung for a variety of campus-wide and community functions, including graduations, receptions, alumni gatherings, sporting events, and Chancellor’s events. The Club also tours annually, both internationally and domestically, and in 2015 gave a series of concerts in Italy in celebration of its 125th anniversary. Please see www.pittmensgleeclub.org.